His full name is "Seyyed Mehemmed Hosseyn Behjet Tabrizi". He is called as Seyyed, because his race comes from the Prophet Muhammad. Mehemmed Hosseyn was his first name while Behjet Tabrizi is his surname, and although Behjet is his nickname. He is also known and called as Shahryar, which is his last nickname, in his hometown and in the world.

There are a lot of sources about his birth. But most probably one is that, he was born in "Baghmeshe" district of Tabriz in 1904. His father "Hadji Mir Agha" who is a well-known lawyer in Tabriz and his mother was "Mrs. Kovkeb". Hadji Mir Agha was a middle size, lovely, serious, patient man who enjoys poetry and music; he was also a skillful "calligrapher".

Shahryar's childhood met at the periods of constitutional monarchy time in Tabriz. The information about his education is miscellaneous. He was firstly educated by his father and he has began to interest in poetry since childhood. He started to learn Quran and Saadi's Golestan. He began his first official education at ?Medrese Muttahede? in Tabriz. In summers, he continued his education near Molla Ebrahim Khalil which located in Kay?shak. He began his secondary school education in ?Feyuzat Middle Class? till 9th class. He also learned the language and literature of Arabic at ?Moslem Theological School? in Tabriz. Later, in 1921 he went to Darolfunun (an old science school) and in 1923, he attended to a medical school but he couldn't finish the faculty of medicine because of money problems. We know that he was in love with Soreyya. In a radio interview in 1973, he told that ?Soreyya and him would meet for last time in Behjetabad but Soreyya didn't come and the day after the interview, he was sent into exile from Tehran while there was only three months left to finish his study in medicine?. He stated that he dedicated his poem called "Behjetabad Khateresi" to that meeting.

The poet started working as a government official in 1932. When he was back to Tehran in 1935, he started working in "Keshavarzy Bank". His father's death was one of the most important event in his life. After his arriving back to Tehran and his father's death in 1935, he was in depression. The poet began to stay far away from his closer friends. At these times, he started to join ?calling someone's spirit s顮ces?, and interested in Sufism. Meanwhile he went on a trip to Tabriz for four months. Shahryar's depression periods took long a long time.

After his mother's death, he was again in depression and got sick. The poet left Tehran to go back his birthplace Tabriz in 1953. He started working in Zeraet Bank till he gets retired. He wrote "Heyderbabaye Selam" (Hello To Heyder Baba) there and published in 1953.

Then he moved into Tabriz and married a primary school teacher who is 35 years old younger than him and one of his relatives. In 20 August 1953 he bought a new house there. From that marriage, they had four children. Shahryar went to Khoshkenab, wrote ?Heyderbaba 2nd? and published there. In 1976, he went to Tehran and while they were on a visit, his wife died of a heart attack.

Most of his Turkish poems published by Sheyda in Tehran. His 80th birthday was celebrated in 1984 in Tabriz University. Shahryar spent his last days in a very bad condition. He got sick because of his old age and finally he died in 18 September 1988. He was buried in the most famous grave called ?Al Shuara? in Tabriz. In order to show respect to Shahryar, all the stores and shops were closed and the people wore black clothes as a matter of sadness.

Apart from his parent language Turkish, the poet knew Persian, Arabic and French. He was interested in music at his early age. He could play Tar well and Abolhasan Seba who was a famous musician in Iran, gave him a valuable Tar as a gift. He became one of the friends of Iran's most famous singers, classical music composers, Abolhasan khan Eghbal, Ghamer, Karimagha Safi, and he wrote elegies in Persian and Turkish for many of them after their death. After being retired, he lived a simple life. He liked to go out with his children and spend time with them. The poet also enjoyed to write verses of the Koran and give them to his friends as a present.

In his retired days, he had money problems. In one of his interviews with Ettelaat newspaper, he said that he has been wearing the same cloths for 22 years. Shahryar?s name was given to the biggest amphitheater of the literature faculty of Tabriz University's and one of the schools in Tabriz. The ?16th of March? was decided to be the ?Day of Shahryar? when he is alive. After his death, his house transformed into a museum.

Some of the literary memorial of South Azerbaijan's work of arts:

Hello To Heydarbaba, written in 1953, published in 1954

The Turk's Language (1969)

Answer to Mohammed Rahim(1967)

My Sahand (1970)

(Memories of Behjatabad)

(Answers to Soleyman Rotsam)

Don't Go Tersa's Child)

(Our South Azerbaijan)