Zarghami: We Were Not Allowed to Establish a Turkish-Language Channel for More Than 20 Million Turks in Iran

December 5, 2024

Former head of Iran’s state broadcaster Ezzatollah Zarghami

Former head of Iran’s state broadcaster Ezzatollah Zarghami has said that more than 20 million Turks live in Iran and that the Supreme National Security Council did not permit the establishment of a nationwide Turkish-language television channel for this large population.

Speaking on a television program, Zarghami said:

“Alongside the provincial Turkish-language networks, I decided to establish a new national television channel in Turkish. I believed it would be very useful and effective. Some officials opposed the idea, saying that Persian is our national language and that a nationwide channel should not broadcast in another language.

“I raised the issue with the Leader. He said, ‘I am neither in favor nor opposed. Speak with two people, Mir-Hossein Mousavi and Ali Abdolalizadeh.’ I spoke with both of them, and both responded positively to the proposal.

“I approached the issue somewhat cautiously and discussed it with the secretary of the Supreme National Security Council. During several meetings, I provided the necessary explanations. At first, they appeared to agree, but they delayed their response for so long that I eventually abandoned the idea and established another channel instead.”

Turks in Iran continue to face restrictions in several areas of linguistic and cultural life, including access to education in Turkish and nationwide Turkish-language print and broadcast media. Azerbaijani families have also reported restrictions in registering certain Turkish names for their children, with civil registration authorities requiring names to conform to approved lists.


Source: IranWire, Azerbaijani Turkish service
Original publication date: 15 Azar 1403 / December 5, 2024
Original report: https://iranwire.com/azb/news-3/136803